Thursday, April 1, 2010

Give me the Creeps



Sarah and I moved into the house earlier this week. We were there for no longer than an hour before we were sure someone was trying to break in. We were watching a movie when all of a sudden we heard someone coughing and then we heard talking right outside of our living room window. No one told us anyone was going to be on the property so naturally we assumed we were about to be robbed. I ran into my room to call the sisters and they said they did not know of anyone who should be there. We waited about 15 minutes to hear back from them and just continued to watch the movie in the meantime because we figured running and hiding wasn't going to do any good. After a series of phone calls, we were informed that there were security people on the premises during the night, so no need to worry. We still here them all the time and it is just a little creepy, but sometimes we see them out the window and they wave to us, which was nice but we decided to start shutting the curtains earlier because it still was a bit odd.

So the building I will be working in is completely haunted. It is also on the same property as my house, so I am not completely convinced the house isn't haunted. We didn't actually start work this week because the nuns decided we needed another week to rest up, but we did get a tour of the building. It used to be a building where the sisters would stay, and I think go to school. Then it was taken over by the military and was basically destroyed. After that, satanic worshipers moved in. Half of the building is renovated and looks really good, the other half is still in rough shape and the reminants of its history are still there. First, when we were walking from the new part to the old part we came into a stairwell and there was a pigeon trapped inbetween stair levels. Then, just chillin' on the window, there was a spider big enough to eat pigeons. Seriously, straight out of a horror movie! After letting the bird out, we continued on our way. It was a long hallway with many rooms on both sides of the hall. All the windows had been broken and a lot of the walls were damaged from people stealing the copper pipes. Then we walked into a room at the end of the hallway, there were old burn marks all over the floor and grafitti saying things like "Satanists were here" written all over the walls. The wind blows straight through the building and makes the eeriest sound. It was super creepy. The upside to all of this was that we went back to the new part and discovered that we have wild peakocks that live on our property. I saw a mom and 3 babies walking in and out of the old rooms. They seemed fine with it which eased my nerves a little bit. Sarah and I did get a little spooked later that night and Sarah was awake until the sun came up the next day. I slept fine, as usual, sleep is sleep and worrying isn't going to get in the way.

Katie (the third volunteer) just landed in Johannesburg a couple hours ago, so I am excited to see her in a couple of days. I will put up pictures as soon as I get a working computer that I can upload them to, which will probably take a couple of weeks at best. I am going out on the town tonight, first night out and about. Sarah and I are getting a little ansy sitting alone in our house, only talking to each other and people who are either significantly older or younger than us during our days.

I have also given up all of my eating restrictions. Within the first day I had to refuse food twice because it was made out of pork. I decided it wasn't worth the hastle and gave in on a piece of sausage. I know many of you have been waiting for this for a long time. No longer will ordering pizza be a headache. I am still not able to buy any pig/non-fish water animal products, but I am able to eat them when they are put in front of me, which is a good first step.

Hope everyone is well!

Kelly

3 comments:

  1. People breaking in?? HAUNTED??? OMG I'd be racing back to good old Superior, WI in no time!!! Just checked your blog today for the first time super fun to see what you are up to over there. Stay safe we're thinking of you! And I hope you got your luggage! Nothing like a clean pair of undies to make your day!
    All our love,
    Sara, John and Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kelly,

    I admire your bravery! You also have a great gift of expression and your blog will be enticing reading for sure! Know that you are held in thought and prayer as you make yourself at home in these new surroundings. Thanks for being there! Sincerely, Barbara-Jean Kubik, SND NDMVA Hartford Site Director

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haunted!? Omg Kelly, I am kinda jealous seeing as I love that kinda thing ;) Glad things are going well for you over there. Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete